Windows Update seems to have many problems later in Windows 10, many users are reporting various error codes while trying to update windows, and one such error code is 0x800706d9. Users are reporting that while trying to update Windows, they face the error 0x800706d9 and cannot update Windows. The error means that you need to start Windows firewall services, then only you will able to download & install the required update. Anyway, without wasting any time let’s see how to actually Fix Windows Update Error 0x800706d9 with the help of the below-listed guide.
Fix Windows Update Error 0x800706d9
Make sure to create a restore point just in case something goes wrong.
Method 1: Turn Windows Firewall On
1. Search for the control panel from the Start Menu search bar and click on it to open the Control Panel.
2. Next, click on System and Security.
3. Then click on Windows Firewall.
4. Now from the left window pane click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off.
5. Select Turn On Windows Firewall then click OK and restart your PC.
Method 2: Make sure Windows Firewall Service is running
1. Press Windows Key + R then type services.msc and hit Enter.
2. Now find the following services in the list:
3. Now double click on each of them and make sure their Startup type is set to Automatic and if the services are not running click on Start.
4. Click Apply, followed by OK.
5. Reboot your PC to save changes and again check if you can fix Windows Update Error 0x800706d9.
Method 3: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
1. In the control panel search Troubleshooting in the Search Bar on the top right side and click on Troubleshooting.
2. Next, from the left window, pane select View all.
3. Then from the Troubleshoot computer problems list select Windows Update.
4. Follow on-screen instructions and let the Windows Update Troubleshoot run.
5. Restart your PC and see if you can fix Windows Update Error 0x800706d9.
Method 4: Rename software distribution Folder
1. Open Command Prompt. The user can perform this step by searching for ‘cmd’ and then press Enter.
2. Now type the following commands to stop Windows Update Services and then hit Enter after each one:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
3. Next, type the following command to rename SoftwareDistribution Folder and then hit Enter:
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
4. Finally, type the following command to start Windows Update Services and hit Enter after each one:
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
5. Reboot your PC to save changes.
- Fix Windows 10 Update Error 0x8007042c
- Fix Windows Update Error 0x80010108
- How To Fix Error 0X80010108 In Windows 10
- Fix The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable
That’s it you have successfully Fix Windows Update Error 0x800706d9 but if you still have any questions regarding this article then feel free to ask them in comment’s section.